Wednesday, April 4, 2012

traumatic events

I am going to come back and fix all these posts up in the next week or so, but I figured it would be a good idea to get some ideas down first.

We were talking in class about how retelling stories that are painful can diminish the power those memories hold over us.  I got hit by a car when I was 15 but it still seems like I get into a funk after everytime I think about it.  Sure, the memory is not as harsh as it used to be, but I couldn't say if that is a product of exposure or simply a result of the increasing distance between now and then.  I got hit while walking by a car going 35-40 mph and I darn near had panic attachs for about 5 years afterward when trying to cross the street.  I have always thought that by having a memory that could elicite such a physical response was a good thing because it lessened the distance between the brains ability to percieve information, mentally project images (memories), and physically respond.  Sort of a classical conditioning inducing higher function and shortened reaction-recall.  Basically, I would like to find that instant where I realized I was going to get hit with actually knowing it or being hit and tune that in.

No comments:

Post a Comment