Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Song from childhood

Me and my band recently played an 80's tribute at the Filling Station.  We had a great time but the subject of this blog is about the selection of the songs we were going to play. 

Are group is rather interesting in age range and each of our tastes in music is surprising different from the others.  Dan is in his 30's, Eric is just 24, and I am coming up quick on 28.  This means we all experienced the 80's in different ways.  I remember rocking out to all the cheesey tunes in my mom's chevy corsica, Dan was in school, and Eric was a baby so his knowledge is all in retrospect.  We entertained playing a lot of different songs from Heuy Lewis and the News, the Police, The Ramones, and numerous others, but here is the list we settled on:

Melt with You by Modern English
Monkey Gone to Heaven by the Pixies
In the Air Tonight by Phil Collins
Tomorrow Wendy by Concrete Blonde
Sunday Bloody Sunday by U2
We Didn't Start the Fire by Billy Joel

What surprised me the most about these songs is that I remembered the words to most of them and I haven't heard them in years.  Even weirder was all the other songs we looked at that I knew atleast partial words to, and I spent a considerable amount of time reminiscing about my childhood and other memories these songs triggered.

For instance, when I was seven I could not stop listening the album Invisible Touch by Genesis.  I started playing the songs from the album, as I got distracted, and found I knew almost every line of every song.  My mom had thrown the tape out when I was about 8 or 9 and I hadn't heard it since.

Immediately after listening to the album, my mind went back to when I was that age, just dancing around my parents house with my walkman tape-player full volume.  It reminds me of a story my mom told me one time which I will relate in my next blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment