Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Musey-Room: Haufbrau edition

For my final presentation I chose to build a model of the Haufbrau, or atleast a partial one and try to explain how this space operates as my musey room.  I described in an earlier post how I organized the muses in this environment which was merely a spark of inspiration for my most recent project. 

In considering this project, I first thought I would make a make of the entire town and try to fill in parts of it that were significant to me.  Not only did this task seem extremely difficult to approach, but was also found to be time consuming, complex, to intricate to explain in ten minutes.  The Haufbrau proved similarly difficult because of the detail and abundance of information contained in the space. 

While the structure is real and tangible, the memories and information that it enlivens in my mind is almost inexplicable without being there and allowing me to slowly reveal.  Something as simple as playing a game of pool brings on waves of memories that require non-linear explination because of all the memorable games and conversations that surround that one spot in the bar.  For instance, I could tell you about how to shoot a certain shot by recalling previous games I played. Or, I could tell you about a conversation I had about fixing a car I had with Stillman. Or, about how to gamble at the game. I could even talk to you about music, and how I got a job one time by playing a guy on that table.

I can accomplish similar feats with just about any point in the bar.  For instance, if someone asked me what a palindrome is I will simple say, "rats live on no evil star," just as is written in the women bathroom stall.  In fact, there has been years of advice and information painted over in both bathrooms.  Same with the words carved in the table tops.

Every year they put out one new table and store the old one away somewhere.  The bar used to be the primary hangout for college kids and the graduating class of each year got a table.  Many of the old tables still hang on the ceiling and walls proudly displaying the names of ghosts.  It is always funny when some stranger comes in trying to find the name they etched years before.  The usual question to ask is how much the hauf has changed, and the answer is usually, "not much."  And, chances are if you ask who they knew there you can trace from then to now through about 2 or 3 people. 

The only problem I can see with this memory system might be that it doesn't only exist in the concrete environment of the physical world but as a semblance of individual consciousnesses.  Each person holds bits and pieces of the puzzle which comprise all of the knowledge in world.  In order to know everything, you must first meet and know everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment